WOW. I did it-I finished all four pillows in time for Christmas and finally got my chair seat covered. My mom helped sew the backs on the pillows since she has a serger (and I think the fact that I was still quilting on the fronts on Saturday was stressing her out a little :). My dad helped with the chair cover since he has a heavy duty staple gun.
I quilted A1’s pillow with a echo of the Chevron design with my walking foot–I used some Art Gallery oval elements, the top triangle is Art Gallery Mauvelicious, and a random batik I had in my stash. The background is Iron Kona. I used a variegated Gutterman thread in purple for her pillow.
This niece is a big Bieber fan too (sigh, I know). Lil’ Bee was very adamant though that she is a little girl so I couldn’t put black on her pillow, it had to be pink and purple. I got the pink with silver stars and the purple ballet fabrics from my mom’s stash so I’m not really sure what they are. The triangle at the bottom is a Kaffe Fassett and I used Iron Kona as the background here too with the purple variegated thread here too. I quilted it with a circle design.
I really like how the pillows turned out for the boys. This one has the Summerville fabric for the main chevron, some Cool School scribble in the bottom triangle and scraps from an unknown fat quarter with peacocks in the top triangle. The background is a green Bella solid. I quilted it with a variegated green Gutterman thread (I’m kind of addicted to the variegated threads) in a free form continuous box.
My last nephew is 18. His favorite color is yellow (I was pretty surprised that it wasn’t black) and I love how these fabrics look together. I used the Iron Kona and a yellow Kona. The bottom triangle is from the Bella line. I just did random lines using a yellow variegated thread and some gray thread.
All in all, I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out. Somehow my quilt math was off for the HST’s because I used 14 inch forms and my finished block turned out not quite 16 inches so I had to do some major trimming.
The final reveal is my finished chair. I had a hard time finding fabric for this because in my mind I want to paint my sewing space an aqua/turquoise color and I just wasn’t thrilled with any fabric that I found with those colors in it. Everything I seemed to like would have worked better with a black chair and I had already spent so much time painting this chair 4 times. I finally chose this fabric–it has a little more brown that I wanted in it (not that I don’t love brown, I have a lot of it in my wardrobe) but I really like the bright flowers. I have enough of the fabric left over that I may make a big pillow to sit in the back of the chair too.
So I’m done sewing for the holidays–now on to bake some cookies so we have something to leave out for Santa. Happy Holidays!