I put together the first test block for the Mystery Quilt. It’s a 54-40 or Fight block. At first glance, I thought it looked fairly simple but actually it was somewhat challenging. I can see that I am going to have to be extra careful in cutting my tri-recs. I’ve already encountered problems with this quilt since the directions are based on the Tri-Rec ruler. I went to Joann’s and bought the Wonder Triangles ruler (I had a 40% coupon and the rulers are supposed to be similar). I was not present at the meeting where they discussed the fact that the markings are different on these 2 rulers:/ While it would have been ideal if I had realized that after I cut the first triangle out of my background fabric, I did at least realize that there was a problem before I started cutting into my lovely Rock & Romance fabric by Art Gallery (yes, I admit it. I’m a little in love with this fabric). Thus, I jumped ahead to step 2 and put together a test block before I cut a whole bunch of strips from R&R.
That’s what a test block is for–right? I’m going to have to be very careful cutting my tri-rec portions because I was really stretching those star point blocks to make my seams meet. I cropped the photo so you don’t see just how unshapely the outside of my block is. Hopefully, the next blocks will go smoother.
In re: PileOFabric’s Skillbuilder BOM, I uploaded the photos of my fabrics to Flickr. I’m going with pink, brown, yellow and orange. I struggled and struggled with fabric selection–I wanted to use teals but the only teals I was finding were rather country looking and that’s really not me. I’m probably a little heavy with the pinks. I was trying to work with my current stash as much as possible so this is what I’ve come up with –