Sew Frou Frou Quilter

Spreading warm wishes one quilt at a time…

Who knew?

2 Comments

I signed up to partake in the National Pincushion Swap that the Modern Quilt Guild organized in honor of QuiltCon.  I was very excited about doing it but a little wary of the “modern aesthetic” reference in the guidelines.  That “modern aesthetic” guideline has plagued every decision I’ve made in my attempts to make a FABULOUS pincushion.  I mean really, I don’t want to be the dork that just makes a wonky cross block because I’ve seen what some people have done.  Someone posted a beautiful cathedral windows cushion so I knew I didn’t want to do that since it had already been done (and ahem, a bit out of my technical/patience level).

I saw a cute little turtle pincushion pattern that also doubled as a sewing caddy for needles, spool of thread and small scissors–I was never able to actually download the pattern though.  I finally decided that it wasn’t modern.  Next I decided I should do something with a hexagon.  Thus the below attempts–which I decided just weren’t up to par.

Scrappy hexagons

Cute but just not pincushion worthy

I then decided I wanted to do something with linen.  I’ve ever sewn with linen before but I’ve heard it’s slippery.  My machine did not like sewing this fabric–not sure if it was just bad quality or the inherent nature of linen but it was a struggle to just get what you see below.  I was thinking of trying a cute little house out of linen–I may give it another go–we shall see.

Linen with stripe block

Just ho hum – not worth the effort it took to get it completed.

You can probably see where this is going.  I next decided that I would just sew put a block together and be done with it.  The green and blue one was completed and it was okay…if it was for me.  Next, I decided to just sew 2 of my hexagon flowers together and stuff it–the problem with that was the sand was too fine and I didn’t want to put a muslin insert inside to hold the sand so I tried stuffing it with rice but there were still little areas in the corners of the hexagons where the rice was falling out.  Next, I got the bright idea that I should use the Anna Marie Horner feather pattern for a pincushion.  I didn’t want it as big though so I reduced it to 25% of its size and ended up with such tiny pieces that my machine just would not sew together and I doubted that I could get my hand stitches small enough for those pieces.  Thus, 8 hours later, I left for my guild meeting –without a pincushion –resigned that I would not do one.

Hexagon flower

the rice leaked out of these..

Green and blue pieced block
this might have worked if I had had some cute fussy cut owl fabric left from Mr. H’s quilt

Dresdens

this might have worked if I had time to plan it out

Feather block

Failed attempt at miniature Anna Marie Horner feather block. I had to cut the tip off of the feather because my machine had shredded it up.

So anyways, my fellow guild members had some amazing pincushions (as I had expected) so I was glad that I didn’t bring my pathetic attempts.  I was informed though that I still had until November 10 to submit a pincushion if I needed more time.  If I do so, it will have to be even more fabulous than I had previously planned (I mean whenever you turn in the assignment after everyone else, you have to step up your game, right).  So do I make another attempt or forget it?

Advertisements

Author: LauraC

I am a working mother of 3 beautiful children and wife of a very supportive husband (that is addicted to running). I love creative endeavors. Quilting is my way to get in touch with myself and unwind and hopefully connect with others too.

2 thoughts on “Who knew?

  1. Oh, do try and salvage your Dresdens. They’re lovely. They will, at the very least, be good in another project. Sometimes I think that I am trying so hard to be creative and original that I am too hard on myself, get in my own way, and end up with nothing. I think ALL of these are quite lovely, in fact. 🙂

    • Oh that’s sweet of you to say. I like the dresdens too. They are from my start of a project for the Dresden challenge but life got in the way. I do plan on revisiting that project in the future though.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s